p.s. url [1] is wrong - it should be
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/So2uAg

-----Original Message-----
From: Stefan Seifert [mailto:sseif...@pro-vision.de]
Sent: Saturday, October 04, 2014 1:54 AM
To: dev@sling.apache.org
Subject: [PROPOSAL] Context-specific configuration for Apache Sling,
Multitenancy

this proposal is about context-specific configuration, that means configuration
that cannot be stored as OSGi configurations. OSGi configurations are always
system-wide, so they are not well-suited for storing configurations per context
e.g. site, region or tenant. this is related to the multitenancy discussion on
this list, see [1] for a summary of the past discussion.

we've implementation a solution for this and are currently thinking about
donating it to Apache Sling. a documentation of what is currently implemented
is at [2]. the most relevant pages you should read are [3], [4], [5], [6]. the
implementation is based on the requirements from [7], although not all that is
listed on that page is implemented currently (but a good deal of it). source
code is at [8], a sample application at [9].

the current implementation is targeted to a specific sling-based CMS - but
besides the configuration editor and the parameter persistence provider it does
not depend on the CMS API but only on the Sling APIs, being technically suited
to be donated to Apache Sling. it's already published under apache license 2.0.

i'm interested if there is more need in the community for solving the
requirements i've listed, and the solutions we have implemented for it. and if
there are other sling committers who want to take part in its development and
enhancement as well. although we're using the current implementation from
wcm.io already in our projects nothing of it's current architecture is carved
in stone and i'm open to broaden the scope of requirements it should support.

WDYT?

stefan

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/zJBcAg
[2] http://wcm.io/config/