Hi Andrei,

Am Fr., 28. Sep. 2018 um 20:29 Uhr schrieb Andrei Dulvac <
andrei.dul...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Jörg.
>
> This is where systemready is a bit different:
> * We have a disable config on our checks - this can definitely be improved
> and maybe have that in the monitor as currently it's just a way we
> implemented the individual checks.
> * WARN is indeed confusing for the LB case - is the instance ready/ alive
> or not? That's why we went for GREEN/ YELLOW/ RED. So for us, WARN maps to
> YELLOW but the naming makes the difference clearer: YELLOW is "not ready
> yet but it's a matter of time" and RED is "yeah, this isn't going to be
> ready without manual intervention". "WARN" _could_ mean that, but that's
> usually not what it means, at least not in any tool I've seen.

I wrote "old school monitoring" :-) They have this tristate, and WARN is
just like yellow: it's something between OK and CRITICAL, so the system can
be in a change of state.  But that depends on operational procedures, which
differ from tool to tool, from company to company. With the advent of
automated infrastructure like Kubernetes, this state probably needs a much
better definition.
When designing HC the interpretation of the states was intentionally left
to the devs and to the ops team. If we come to the conclusion, that we have
to have an exact definition for the 3 state, I am totally fine with it.
Renaming the states to colors is probably the way to go.

> The monitoring part is something I think needs to be treaded carefully:
> Yes, we can feed this into a monitoring tool, but I would not make the HCs
> or systemready or whatever comes of the two a tool for providing
> quantitative data, just values for binary (tertiary I guess) metrics
> (qualitative info).

HCs were never designed to deliver data beyond this tristate. There are
other tools and interfaces for this kind of information. But in the end you
also only extract this information and consolidate it somewhere else into a
dashboard with a much simplied result, often this tristate of
"green","yellow" and "red". So this tristate seems a very natural thing :-)

Jörg

--
Cheers,
Jörg Hoh,