On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Liviu Nicoara <nikko...@hates.ms> wrote:

> Yes, but it restores the default packing, not an arbitrary one, potentially
> set by the user prior to including our headers. Say, the user sets 2, the
> default is 4 and we set 8. When we set it to default it goes back to 4,
> instead of the expected 2. Did I get this right?

This is true, but leaving some arbirary pragma pack(N) (for N != 0) in
effect for the duration of a program, and expecting it to work sounds
like a very defective programming approach to me. It will certainly
not work on SPARC at all. if the program needs to pack something in a
certain specific way, it need to do so for that specific something
only. Otherwise the side-effects of globally setting a non-default
packing will destroy the program anyway.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman
KDE e.V.