At 7:58 AM -0700 7/8/04, KUROSAKA Teruhiko wrote:
Ted,

I'm now testing, tagging, and rolling Struts 1.2.1. Please stand by :)

As far as I can tell by monitoring this list, 1.2.1 seems to fix
only face related few bugs.  It didn't pick most patches available
in bugzilla.

Could you tell comitters pick patches for the next release? Only
by a chance?

I'm not complaining.  I just want to know what else I can do
to make sure my patch will be picked next time.

As far as I know, there's no formal way in which patches are applied. Obviously, non-enhancements are applied sooner, especially if there is a test case available to help guarantee that the patch fixes the problem and doesn't cause others.

As for enhancement requests, Ted has indicated that he is most interested in applying patches that have a healthy discussion in Bugzilla, because it indicates to him that there are interested parties. Bugzilla also supports "votes" for patches, and I think that it makes sense for people to vote for enhancements which they think would be particularly good additions to Struts. Finally, users who are really interested in helping out can apply patches themselves to their own CVS repository and provide feedback about whether they work as advertised and don't break anything.

You can understand that committers are hesitant to apply every enhancement simply because it has been requested. I'd be reluctant to commit a patch if I didn't feel that I could test it adequately. Hence, it is helpful if in addition to submitting enhancements other users of Struts can also test enhancements that they think would be good to add.

Just my opinion (plus one paraphrase of Ted :^)
        Joe

PS While I was composing this, Roberto wrote:
Given that the committers are busy people, I'd guess one way to get a patch considered is to actively seek out struts developers who are experiencing the problem that your patch fixes, and get them to test it for you - you're doing them a favour, and if several of them add a 'works for me' to the ticket, there's a better chance it'll get noticed by the commiters.

As long as "developers" is understood as any user who is willing to treat the source code as "his own", I agree completely -- just don't think that "developers" == "committers".

--
Joe Germuska [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://blog.germuska.com "In fact, when I die, if I don't hear 'A Love Supreme,' I'll turn back; I'll know I'm in the wrong place."
- Carlos Santana