struts-config.xml accomplishes the following tasks:

1. Defines form models
2. Defines and configures Actions
3. Defines and configures mappings of actions
4. Defines and configures plugins
5. Defines and configures message resources
6. Defines and configures request processor

I see Spring vastly improving, if not completely replacing, #2, #4, #5, and #6. It could even be argued #1 should be moved into a form definition file that integrates validator field configuration.

Therefore, I'd imagine a Springified Struts only needing struts-config.xml for #3, defining action mappings, with probably another configuration element to point to the Spring context/BeanFactory file for the module (loaded as a child of a global Spring context/BeanFactory) and the bean id's the request process, message resources, and plugins can be found under.

Don

Joe Germuska wrote:

<snip />

The more we go down this road of more robust configuration/initialization, the more I think we are going to realize Spring already does this and does it better.

I suspect you're right, as I have come to prefer Spring's BeanFactory to Digester for this kind of thing. Have you ever looked at configuring Struts completely using Spring? It might be an interesting exercise, along with possibly coming up with an XSLT process to make current Struts config files usable with Spring!

Joe