As I understand it, the key to improving the build, be it Maven or Ant, is who will get the job done. There used to be quite a bit of interest in a Maven build, and some progress was made toward a conversion, however, the work was never completed. If someone stepped up and completed the Maven conversion, it would probably be adopted. However, if someone (Martin?) improved the Ant build to add jar retrieval tasks and make it easier to use, it would be adopted instead.

Personally, from what I've seen, there isn't really something Maven can do that Ant can't or vice versa, but rather a matter of how easy/elegant the solution will be and more importantly, who will do it.

And whoever does it will earn my eternal gratitude. :)

Don

Ted Husted wrote:

It's definitely clean-up time, Jim.

The plan for 1.3.x is to separate the core, taglibs, and apps into separate projects.

The reason our current Maven build is ineffective is because project layout has "grown in the telling".

The next step is to create standard Maven project layouts for each of the
subprojects, so that they are easy to build with Maven or Ant.

All someone has to do is "make it so".

-Ted.