The performance of OGNL is not nearly as bad as we had originally thought. I've been doing some performance testing in Webwork (which S2 is based on) this week and most of the OGNL calls are not measurable. (<1ms) The biggest issue I've had is making sure freemarker templates are getting cached properly. See http://wiki.opensymphony.com/display/WW/Performance+Tuning for details. (I'll be adding some explanations to what phil wrote later this week) Even though this is for WW, almost all of it is applicable to Struts 2. Eventually we'll move this to S2 and update it, but so few people are using Struts 2 right now, I think this is adequate.
Tom

Shekhar Yadav wrote:
Is there a plan on when the performance issues with Struts 2.0 will be
resolved? In some thread I saw that struts community is trying to either
create a replaceable EL engine or improve OGNL performance. But nowhere,
I see a committed timeline on when this will be done or whether this is
being done. If there is some work being done on it, I would be more then
willing to do beta testing and give early feedbacks.

I am sounding so stressed out because we have an application timed to go
live in April and with the current performance we can not go live. So
please give me concrete information on what is the status on this so
that we can plan accordingly.

Regards,

Shekhar