Based on the portlet plugin proposal and some work I've been doing with the table tags, I thought I would propose a refactor of the URL building for struts2. Right now, struts2 has great support for taking on incoming request and mapping it to the core elements of the framework (i.e. namespace, action, method, etc.) in the ActionMapper interface. It seems like we should be doing the same for building URL's. This would allow the url tag to be completely dumb about how url's are built up. Right now, the url tag has specific logic to determine if the request is a portlet request or not and uses PortletUrlHelper or UrlHelper respectively. If the url building was pluggable, we would have a default url builder that would be configured to build either portlet url's or regular url's. This would allow us to easily extract the portlet support out into a separate plugin. It would also allow 3rd part tags (like table tags) transparent, built-in portlet support with almost no effort. We could also support other types of url's like Restful urls. (Right now, I'm not sure how the url tag supports restful url's)

I'll take a preliminary look at this later today, but I was curious if anyone thoughts, pro or con regarding this.
Tom