Ouch. I can now see why your patch seems the only sensible solution.

Al.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jeromy Evans" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Struts Developers List" <dev@struts.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [S2.1] Dojo plugin tree problem

Hi Al,

Yes, I agree. For instance, the patch only applies to AbstractRemoteBean whereas the issue encroaches on Tree.java and probably others.

The issue is slightly bigger than just forgetting the head tag. It is specifically that:
- the dojo tags now depends on a head tag writing to the page context; but
- in certain cases the head tag cannot be included within the context available to the current tag

eg. If the tag is in a JSP loaded via XHR, the JSP fragment can't contain -another- head tag so an NPE will occur when that fragment is rendered

Al Sutton wrote:
Jeromy,

I like your solution, but I think a call needs to be made by the developers who have been here longer (and therefore have a better view of the big picture).

Either your patch should be applied, or a more friendly way of automatically saying "You've forgotten the <:head> tag" needs to be developed, because I believe the current situation creates an error which is too obscure for the average developer to easily discover what the problem is.

Anyone have any other thoughts?