I thought about a dependency list of JCatapult workflows and it can become complex if a plugin doesn't know the entire set of other plugins that might need to be invoked before it. In some cases what would happen is that 90% of the plugins wouldn't list any dependencies but there might be some type of underlying order that the application needs.

I think it is better to just force the configuration on the users if they have conflicting plugins. But if you could hash out the algorithm for the dependency graph and ordering we could see if it would work.

-bp

Al Sutton wrote:
Why not expand it out and allow users to specify a plugin processing order?, that way any potential conflict of plugin handling method could be resolved by specifying an order.

If we also introduced a dependency list in struts-plugin.xml the core code could not only take a stab at the right order if the user doesn't specify one, it could also verify that if a user specifies a plugin order the order given is valid and satisfies the dependencies.

I know plugins are ideally not suppose to know or rely on other plugins, but there are some situations (such as this one) where it's useful to be able to specify an order.

Al.

Musachy Barroso wrote:
I like Dusty's suggestion, or something like it:

<unknown-handlers>
      <unknown-handler name="UH1" />
      <unknown-handler name="UH2" />
</unknown-handlers>