This is not quite the same unless it can detect generics while setting values and creating values. An example might be values from a form going into something like:

        List<String>

or

        Map<String, List<Integer>>

or the always fun

        List<List<Integer>>

that sorta thing. I know that OGNL had (might not any longer) many issues with generics in this respect. I think OGNL also got mad when it encountered something simple like:

        int[]

or

        String[]

coming from checkbox lists and multiple selects. I believe that it would stuff the values into the String[] like this:

        {"value1,value2,value3"}

rather than

        {"value1", "value2", "value3"}

This was a while ago, so all of this might be fixed.

-bp