Taking a brief look at the MVEL type conversion API it could be somewhat difficult to get this information into the converter on a per request basis, especially if converters are singleton scoped. This information isn't available on the source in most cases. It is usually externalized in the request or the container object. The API looks a pretty lightweight, which is nice, but also restrictive. From what I could see I would have to monkey around with things and use something like a ThreadLocal to pass this information to the converter.

The source-from-many pattern seems to be somewhat backwards for the web. It is more likely the case that a single converter will convert to many classes from a String or String[]. The JCatapult type converter passes in the type being converted to and then the String value(s). Although this is very web centric, it cleans up the API and makes things simpler to implement. MVEL is obviously more generic, which means some massaging is necessary to tune it for the web.

It also seems to be lacking a good set of exceptions thrown out of the API. At least from the docs, since I couldn't find JavaDoc and the distribution only has source (ouch). This doesn't mean that Struts can't provide good runtime exceptions and then just catch those, but it leaves things much more open for developers writing new converters. I'd rather see the API define these exceptions clearly and for them to be checked.

I think that using generic languages like OGNL or MVEL are decent solutions, but a web centric solution would be best. I'm also in favor or dropping most if not all of the extra features and only providing property/field getting and setting. I think adding in another language just clouds the waters. FreeMarker and JSP both have languages that cover most of the common cases.

Feel free to take a look at the JCatapult MVC expression evaluator for what I feel should be supported.

-bp