BTW, I've got everything setup for using the 2.0-beta1 JAR file.

-bp

On Oct 12, 2008, at 6:18 PM, Chris Brock wrote:

I actually tried to do this really quickly earlier. I didn't have time to figure it out, as your EL stuff has dependencies on HttpServletRequest and outward dependencies to your framework. I tried to check-out everything,
but SVN kept dying while checking out (I think Google's SVN server was
acting up).

One of the problems of trying to do a simple performance test with your stuff is that (like you say) it's not generic, and a bit of a pain in the
butt to test in isolation.

Brian Pontarelli wrote:

We could do that if you like. Those are pretty simple numbers with
very straight-forward cases. So, please run those against MVEL and let
me know what you get. StringTokenizer is obviously quite fast, and I
could easily remove it if it would mean sub-millisecond times,
although the work probably isn't worth the effort with such small
numbers.

Just create three classes:

An action
A user object
An address object

The action has a user and the user has a generic Map of addresses
keyed off a String. This should work:

public class Action
  public User user;
}

public class User {
  public int age;
  public Map<String, Address> addresses;
}

public class Address {
  public String zipcode;
}

Then, just get and set some values without any pre-compile or caching
and let me know what the times are. My guess is that you will be
slightly slower or the same. To get truly accurate, we might have to
go sub-millisecond or create some more dramatic tests.

Also, I doubt that StringTokenizer is impacting my performance any. In
fact the numbers clearly state otherwise. Besides, with things
happening sub-millisecond or just above that, I just don't see any
benefit in spending a lot of time making it faster.

-bp