Personally, I feel that struts top to bottom should be web centric and not try to abstract out JEE. This makes life cumbersome and difficult in many cases. Often this also leads to hacking interfaces or writing tricky new semantics on top of more general interfaces in order to get access to the web APIs. I'd vote for dropping it into core and slowly rewriting it to be 100% web centric. This is also my feeling about OGNL/MVEL or any expression language. The expression language for struts should be written to handle all the crazy cases that come up with the web, specifically type conversions.

-bp