On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 7:35 AM, Lukasz Lenart
<lukasz.len...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2011/2/17 Wendy Smoak <wsm...@gmail.com>:

<snip/>

> Yep, that's the one of the reasons I have, another is that we fixed 41
> bugs of total 50 assigned to 2.2.2 version. The most important are
> done, the rest is related to JSONPlugin (not everyone uses) or
> development improvement. Few users requested a new release, especially
> that the most important bugs are done. So I can just postpone those
> bugs and prepare a new release or start a new thread about changing
> labeling. Hmmm.... preparing a new release will be faster ;-)

Yup, especially since you will find me *extremely* hard to convince. :-)

> Besides it's more about promoting a release. I was asking about that
> sometime ago. It would be great to promote Betas or RCs without
> calling for a Vote.

There is no such thing as a release without a vote. Every release must
be voted on by the PMC, no exceptions. It doesn't matter how it's
labeled.

Just to be clear, we start by building what we call a Test Build, with
the latest 3-part number. That Test Build is made available to
developers (i.e. dev@ only). After it's been available for long enough
that people have had a chance to determine how stable it is, we vote
on whether it should become a Beta release, a GA release, or not a
release at all.

As Wendy has implied, we vote on actual bits. That means that if we
had created a build as an RC, we would need to vote on it to release
the RC, and if everyone thought it was good enough to be GA, we would
need to re-roll the release with the new name (i.e. not RC now), and
vote on it *again*, because the bits are different. I don't think
that's what you want.

Having been Release Manager for about a dozen releases of Struts over
the years (not counting test builds that didn't make releases),
including through the transition from the old scheme to the new one, I
can tell you, you don't want to go back.

--
Martin Cooper