> > I take a practical approach. I use simple programs when
> > they do the job well, and more complex programs when
> > they get the job done better. Sometimes a simple program
> > can be useful for certain jobs, such as ones involving
> > shell scripting, whereas a complex program may be more
> > useful for example in other applications, such as using
> > Solidworks for engineering work. LaTeX is certainly a
> > bloated monstrosity, but the damn thing is useful for a
> > lot of different tasks.
> >
> > People on this email list tend to go to an extreme in
> > favoring simplicity above all else, which is why they
> > release dumpster fires like the ST terminal emulator for
> > example which has absolutely no features at all, is
> > riddled with bugs and compatibility problems, and
> > requires extensive patching to add in any useful
> > features. The developers are also basement-dwelling
> > losers, total raging assholes who take personal offense
> > to the suggestion that their code should be better
> > commented or that someone might fork the code to make an
> > improved version.
> >
> > I tried ST for a time before realizing it was trash and
> > just switched back to Xterm, the gold standard of
> > functional X11 terminal emulators, which the ST
> > developers talked shit about, calling "bloated" in their
> > documentation, and saying the code wasn't good. Actually
> > it is not bloated, the code quality is much higher than
> > ST (and is actually commented!), It Just Works(TM), and
> > it's noticeably faster as well when ST is patched with
> > the juvenile "scrollback buffer support"
> > implementation--which calls malloc() once for every
> > line(!) of the scrollback buffer.
> >
> > Take anything that a religious cult member says with a
> > grain of salt.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Oof, I feel like that's gonna start one hell of a flame war
> right now.
>
> About suckless's software. Personally, I've got an
> impression that it's not about personal use. Like, you
> aren't really expected to install ST as you main and
> everyday terminal. These programs are more of a collection
> of tools that should be combined and embedded as a
> foundation for something bigger.
>
> Firefox will always be better than surf, it just will. But
> replacing Firefox is not what surf should strive for. It's
> more of a tool for situations when you need an ability to
> embed a website and full-blown Firefox or Chrome will be an
> overkill.
>
> That said, if there are any compatibility problems _(which
> there probably are, since why shouldn't there be any
> compatibility problems when your main goal when writing
> software is to make it as small as possible)_ than that kind
> of ruins the whole purpose of all of this...
>
> --
> Nikita

Very well said!
Different people care about different things.
Some might want security, robustness and other values that come with
suckless/minimalistic software, and that might be fine for some people,
and for
some it might not, so, that's why patches exist, so go and use them and/or
make
your own?

Don't like it? Too bad, it doesn't like you, either :P
But seriously: not everyone will like anything you make, and I think that
suckless software is THE FUTURE!

In fact, I believe in it so much, that I dream of an entire OS mess lik eit
(patches and shit) :P
Main concern of mine would be I guess security and stuff..
But I guess micro-kernel and whoopsie-daysies I need to go haha