Henri Gomez wrote:
AJP 1.5 should support automatic discovery of tomcat backend, new
systems and new webapps.

That's the current need for many of us when adding tomcats / webapp
behind Apache 2 webservers. In such case we need to restart them and
it's sad.

How could it be accomplished, may be via a master tomcat who will give
the tomcat farm topology to Apache HTTP2.

What do you think ?

I think this is completely useless. This cannot quite work in "real" load balancing or failover deployments, where I doubt admins would use straight mapping for the webapps, or also would want to control the timing of enabling the new deployments (otherwise, servers will go online automagically while stuff is being installed, and other cool side effects like this). The "admin" webapp currently provided by mod_jk and mod_proxy is a far more practical way to do things, as admins will want control over magic.

The main use case for this is the dumb 1 Apache <-> 1 Tomcat deployment, which has no future, so breaking compatibility to improve this deployment style is not a good move.

Rémy