Github user zemian commented on the issue:

    https://github.com/apache/tomcat/pull/72

    Hi Mark,

    > Tomcat provides (by default) a static content cache in the resources
layer so I do wonder if there is much benefit in caching the content in the JSP
engine as well.

    Are you referring to `org.apache.catalina.webresources.Cache`? To me this
enhancement is at jasper level, so I thought it make more sense to keep it self
contained. Also, is okay to bring catalina classes into jasper package? But any
rate, if you do decide we go this route, please confirm and I will look into it
more.

    > The proposed cache appears to be unbounded which is likely to be a
problem for larger installations. Also, there is no need to cache the JSP
content once it has been processed.

    I thought about this, but my current proposed cache is already bounded by
`ParserController` instance, and it is already per request only. You still
think we should limit cache further? If we do this, then we add much more
complexity to caching though. Please confirm if we need this.

    > My original thinking was more along the lines of some refactoring to
allow re-use of a single buffered input stream with some limit on the buffer
size that could mean the stream did need to be re-opened for large JSPs.

    I am not clear on this suggestion yet. Do tell me more if you strongly feel
that's more the right direction. My current proposed solution is to cache the
jsp file content as char array, then re-feed into different Stream/Reader that
is used by jasper parser. The previous code will perform two reads per single
jsp file processing: once for `ParserController#parseDirectives` and another
for `JspDocumentParser#parse`. The proposed code will reduce these to one file
read only.

---
with INFRA.
---