On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 2:25 PM Christopher Schultz
<ch...@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Rémy,
>
> On 2/23/24 08:35, Rémy Maucherat wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would like to propose backporting the OpenSSL FFM support to Tomcat 10.1.
> >
> > Java 22.0.0 should be released on March 19, and the next Java LTS
> > should still have no problem targeting Java 11. As a result, there
> > should be no negative impact to the platform support, and users
> > running on Java 22+ could benefit from easier OpenSSL support.
> >
> > Obviously I anticipate most users will use FFM support once the next
> > Java LTS is out in a few years, but getting the feature out now would
> > still be good.
> >
> > After the change:
> > - Compiling, running the testsuite, etc is still doable with Java 17.
> > - Running Tomcat 10.1 still works with Java 11.
> > - Building a Tomcat 10.1 release would now require Java 22+.
> >
> > Backporting further to Tomcat 9.0 could be riskier however. Following
> > the removal of the Java 7 release target, Java 8 might be next. The
> > main question is if the next Java LTS will still support the Java 8
> > release target.
> >
> > Comments ?
>
> I'm not sure why, but I find it annoying that you can't build some
> Tomcat releases with the versions on which they are intended to run.

I understand that. Since Tomcat 11 now runs on 17 and will be built on
22+, there's also a big gap there and it's really annoying ...
So it's your decision at this point since you're the one building:
should I backport it or not ?

> It's too bad the FFM stuff didn't land until Java 19.

22. The functionality is very beneficial, but being so late makes it
far less useful.

Rémy