On Fri, Feb 23, 2024 at 2:35 PM Rémy Maucherat <r...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose backporting the OpenSSL FFM support to Tomcat 10.1.
>
> Java 22.0.0 should be released on March 19, and the next Java LTS
> should still have no problem targeting Java 11. As a result, there
> should be no negative impact to the platform support, and users
> running on Java 22+ could benefit from easier OpenSSL support.
>
> Obviously I anticipate most users will use FFM support once the next
> Java LTS is out in a few years, but getting the feature out now would
> still be good.
>
> After the change:
> - Compiling, running the testsuite, etc is still doable with Java 17.
> - Running Tomcat 10.1 still works with Java 11.
> - Building a Tomcat 10.1 release would now require Java 22+.
>
> Backporting further to Tomcat 9.0 could be riskier however. Following
> the removal of the Java 7 release target, Java 8 might be next. The
> main question is if the next Java LTS will still support the Java 8
> release target.
>
> Comments ?

Java 22 is now final so I plan to do that FFM backport to Tomcat 10.1.
I understand this is annoying in a few ways, but there is a clear
benefit especially long term once users migrate to the next Java LTS.

Due to the release target that needs to stay at 8 for Tomcat 9.0 and
the risk that future LTS releases drop it, I don't plan to backport
further for now however.
The policy is supposed to be "documented" at: https://openjdk.org/jeps/182
It seems the previous three LTS are supported as the release target,
so the next LTS would support 21, 17 and 11 (so all good for Tomcat
10.1), but not 8.

Rémy