On 10/09/2015 09:36, Rémy Maucherat wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a wording questions from my ApacheCon presentations, I am using
>> tomcat9 to speak about trunk but basically tomcat9 should be with java9 and
>> the new servlet specifications. AKA far future.
>>

> I'm not sure it will require Java 9. Using ALPN would require either Java 9
> or OpenSSL, I think that is going to be the most likely scenario, so Java 8
> would remain quite usable.

+1. We are going to have to find a way to work with ALPN and Java8. The
OpenSSL + NIO/NIO2 option looks like the way to go at the moment.

>> It will be probably interesting to promote an intermediate tomcat version
>> with HTTP/2 and related features but without a servlet 4.0  do we want to
>> do that?
>>

> Yes, the problem is that the next EE is too far away. A new 8.x would have
> to supersede the current 8.0 though otherwise it would be too difficult for
> maintenance. However, there are significant addition/changes to the
> configuration in trunk.

HTTP/2 isn't stable right now. One of my more recent changes (I suspect
the old stream clean-up) is triggering crashes with APR. I should be
able to get that fixed in time for ApacheCon and put together a
9.0.0.ALPHA release.

Back-porting HTTP/2 (once it is stable) to 8.x would require
back-porting the connector clean-up which in turn means dropping BIO and
comet support for an 8.1.x release series. I think it would be worth
gauging community reaction to such a move first since I agree we would
have to stop support for 8.0.x. It might be preferable to have 9.0.x
BETA releases that are only beta because the Servlet API is not fixed.