:) Great!   Well, since our chair was so enthusiastic and he and i
have been doing the recent releases, i'm going to go ahead and make
the changes.  if anyone protests, i'll be happy to reverse them
(though that would be a PITA).

On 1/27/07, Henning P. Schmiedehausen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
"Nathan Bubna" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>With two significant stable releases happening soon (Velocity 1.5 and
>VelocityTools 1.3), i'd like to nail down the distribution directory
>structure now.  Changing these things is a pain due to mirroring,
>various link locations and such.  I'd rather we get it straight and
>stick to it.

+1

>Rather than re-hash what's currently out there (which isn't even
>totally sync'd with people.apache.org as i write) and our various
>understandings of how it should be, i'd like to kick the discussion
>off with a proposed structure.

>under /dist/velocity, i propose we continue to keep our KEYS file and
>directories for engine and tools.  directly under those directories,

+1

>we should have folders named after the most recent stable/production
>release and--if one exists--a more recent unstable/beta release.

+1

>Given our current releases, this would look like:

>dist/velocity/
>               KEYS
>               engine/
>                                  1.4/
>                                  1.5-beta2/
>               tools
>                                  1.2/
>                                  1.3-rc1/

+1

>Since all releases on dist are automatically archived, we should not
>keep more than one stable and one unstable release for each branch of
>a project.  So each time there is a stable/production release, both
>the old stable release and whatever beta/rc/alpha preceded the new
>stable release should be deleted.

+1

>The "current" symlinks VelocityTools has [had in the past] are a
>debatable issue.  Personally, they're a pain to update, and i suspect
>they're not even an ASF endorsed procedure.  Unless someone protests,
>i'm going to remove them.

+1 +1 +1

>If you like this, feel free to give a +1.  If you don't please speak
>up soon, so i can get things moved around appropriately and update all
>our download links accordingly soon.  :)  If i don't hear anything on
>this by Monday afternoon (PST), i'll get started.  though, i may do it
>earlier if everyone seems to be on board before then.  :)

I fully agree with you on all points. Getting this more simple is
good. Getting it consistent is even better.

        Best regards
                Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED] | J2EE, Linux,
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540 | Apache person

          "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."