Supun,

Really a very nice proposal.  I think it'd be helpful to link at the
end a list of relevant JIRA issues and wiki pages.  It looks like
(among other things) you are referring to
http://wiki.apache.org/velocity/MacroIssues

You list 'All the improvements to the code should not destroy the
backward compatibility of the Velocity engine, and it shouldn't affect
the Velocity engines template caching mechanism. These are two
challenging issues that need to be addressed with care'

I want to suggest a third requirement, which is that performance
should not be significantly affected.  This is really related to the
caching issue.

I think the "allow expressions in macro arguments" idea is nice, but
not essential.  (yes, I know this was my suggestion).  Nathan's point
about macro bodies might be more relevant.  But I encourage you to
follow your interests here.

Best, WILL