Claude,

I think I have managed to resolve it.  Most of the methods in
org.apache.velocity.util.StringUtils have been removed. Which texen relies
on for parsing the vm files via the context.

I updated the texen.properties variable to use the commons StringUtils
instead.

ie

#context.objects.strings=org.apache.velocity.util.StringUtils
context.objects.strings=org.apache.commons.lang3.StringUtils

So far it looks OK.  Were all of the string methods replaced by the commons
version?

Cheers Greg