On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Jeremy Thomerson <
jer...@wickettraining.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:20 PM, Clint Checketts <checke...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Jeremy,
>>
>> Will Git development mimic the current subversion workflow, or will we see
>> we see a more Git-ish way like 'git flow'? See-
>> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/
>

> I think at least the core developers are already trying to adopt a more
> git-like work flow.  Look at some of the ajax/JS stuff that happened on GH
> prior to being merged into SVN.  I'm definitely in favor of a more
> "Git-ish" way of doing things.
>

>> I realize that likely the answer is 'we don't know yet', so I'd like to
>> get
>> the conversation going.
>>

> I'd suggest: give us through the weekend for the committers to get git
> (hehe pun) setup and in use, then let's start a separate discussion.  I
> also say this because of a very large thread on infrastructure-dev right
> now [1] about the current git hook that requires all committers to have an @
> apache.org email address, which means for me to pull from your GH repo,
> for instance, I'd need to rewrite the history some.  I think that this
> requirement will go away (the message I linked to is the first with real
> weight that says it can go away), but whatever the outcome of that thread
> is will have a major impact on our git-flow.  Involvement with that ongoing
> thread among other conversations has kept from from actually playing with
> our git repo.  I hope the distraction will be gone soon.
>
> [1] http://markmail.org/message/jsnmxdzf5qkkrvwg

FYI... here's an update that the $contributorEmail =~
/.*@apache.org/requirement is now gone.  See [2]

This should make it easier to integrate a standard git workflow where we
can merge branches from various users.  Of course, the committers still
need to do our due diligence to ensure code provenance.

[2] http://markmail.org/message/3v47l7747xntqreq

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://wickettraining.com