Yes, there is indeed is a bug in wapbox (ppg) sms splitting. You should
remove gw/wapbox.c, line

max_msgs = (msg_len/MAX_SMS_OCTETS) + 1;

one should instead use max-messages (and concatenate) configuration
variables.

Yes, adding another config variable is not a good thing. But this way wapbox
would be consistent with smsbox.

Aarno