On Dienstag, Februar 4, 2003, at 08:33 Uhr, Dziugas Baltrunas wrote:

Hi,

I think this patch is very useful (for me too), but I would like to ask,
should there be operator permission to set ANY short number as the number
of the sender? and if so, what is the difference between 'shortnumber' and
'from' number? because, for example, SMPP (if operator permits) allows to
set any number, iregarding of it's lenght, using, for example, the same
'from' variable in send-sms.

I don't understand what's the issue here. If you send the number as 123 it arrives on the phone as 123, if you send it as +123 it will arrive as +123. So is this not good enough??

in GSM transmission, a from number is the originator of the number. it can be of different type. In reality any phone number is specified by 3 parameters which are:

TON: type of number
NPI: network plan indicator
Address:

A short ID is nothing else than TON = shortid while an international number (+...) would be TON=international.
the receiving phone would display the + if the originator has TON=international set but not if TON is unknown or national or shortid.

In Kannel, if your number starts with +, it will set TON=international automatically. At least thats the case in SMPP. In EMI it puts 00 instead because EMI doesnt support TON field and only knows international numbers as numbers which start with 00... (international prefix in europe).

So the correct approach for CIMD would be to set TON=international only if the number starts with +. If this is not the case, then this is a bug to be fixed but forcing it to another type is for sure not the right approach.

Andreas Fink
Global Networks Switzerland AG

Tel: +41-61-6666333 Fax: +41-61-6666334 Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Global Networks, Inc. Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
Web: http://www.global-networks.ch/  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Member of the GSM Association