There where days where harddisk had a limit of 2GB or 4GB
There where days where partitions had a limit of 2GB or 4GB
There where days where files had a limit of 2GB or 4GB
Those days are long long gone.

However if kannel's gwlib runs in full debug mode and the logfile hits 2GB, the application quits/stops working and when you relaunch it, it appends to the same 2GB logfile and quits again because it cant go beyond this 2GB limit.

Now this is not a bug of Kannel  but one of the operating system. This bug doesn't exist under MacOS X but it does exist in Linux Fedora 5 with a ext3 filesystem. From reading log.c, I can see that kannel does fopen("filename","a") and then vsfprintf or fprintf. As the file is opened append only, no seeks are used or anything fancy, I can not understand why the file is limited to 2GB even thought the filesystem for sure can handle files larger than 2GB.

On our system it takes 2-3 days to hit this problem with a empty log file. As we mainly use MacOS X we never see this problem but having added a new Linux machine to the park, I'm puzzled to see this problem I've already spotted in 2001 and would have expected to have been long fixed in current linux kernels.

Anyone have a hint here?

Andreas Fink
Fink Consulting GmbH
Tel: +41-61-6666332 Fax: +41-61-6666331  Mobile: +41-79-2457333
Address: Clarastrasse 3, 4058 Basel, Switzerland
ICQ: 8239353
MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED] AIM: smsrelay Skype: andreasfink
Yahoo: finkconsulting SMS: +41792457333