use of syslog is optional. I dont compile it with syslog as I want to have separate logfiles.
my small test C programm shows that normal compilation hits this wall.
But if I open the file with fopen64, then it works. Rather strange as Linux seems to be the only OS where this has been done like that.

I'll check what the currentl CVS does about this.

-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 is not working here.
will verify with -D_LARGE_FILES. Also I found similar names (but not same) in the headerfiles.
This was tested on Fedora5.