On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 1:26 PM, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> If the features were developed and tested during the creation of the
> release, why would they fail criteria at the last minute?

Bit rot. That particular code is being modified, and there's no
testing on hardware affected by those changes before they get pushed
to the Fedora testing canary. This sort of relationship with an
upstream is exactly the reason why people refer to Fedora as Red Hat's
test bed.

There's also an imbalance in funding Anaconda churn which is mostly
paid development, vs Fedora QA which no doubt has a much smaller
budget and to date has largely depended on unpaid contributors for
this testing.

>  You are
> making a good argument to not throw away something because "people
> don't like it", but in the context of this discussion there seems to
> be a distinct lack of resources actually doing the work.  It may be
> perfectly justifiable to do a release anyway under that premise.

There's seemingly no lack of resources for an installer that's in
continuous development without any apparent improvement in usability
or stability or blocker bugs since Fedora 17.

> Also, there is a large difference between shipping a release that
> works on a majority of hardware with the goal of fixing it where it
> doesn't after, and "stop supporting certain hardware".

This particular bug means Fedora ships uninstallable on Macs. There is
no fixing it after shipping; it means trying again with the next
release.

> Lastly, support is a very loaded word, particularly in the context of
> a community driven project.  We actually do not have an x86 equivalent
> of the ARM supported-boards list, so it's completely random as to what
> laptops and desktops are tested and prioritized.  That might be
> something to focus on going forward.

On the user list, forums, ask fedora, and bugzilla, there are quite a
large number of Windows users who have dual boot installation failures
right now too. And those bug reports lack any sufficient detail to
find out why the installation didn't work. Just today I got a
notification of yet another Windows 10 user who can't boot Windows 10
after installing Fedora.

More canaries of any sort is not going to help find the source of the
problem and the solution. What's needed are people who can do the
proper kind of reporting, and there simply aren't enough of those to
keep up with all of OUR weird changes and code churn.

--
Chris Murphy