On Tue, 2016-11-15 at 10:28 -0800, Chris Murphy wrote:

> I'm not counting change sets. I'm counting user distinguishable UIs,
> and those are four distinctly different interfaces and experiences and
> they each even have their own names:
> oldui
> newui auto
> newui custom
> blivet-gui

I understand your enumeration. However, I disagree that it demonstrates
this:

> That is a lot of churn in UI/Ux in 5 years

Because:

1) You're using a classic bogus statistics trick: choosing misleading
boundaries. You can only claim "in 5 years" by *just happening* to set
your initial boundary at the precise point where we switched from oldui
to newui. oldui had, at that point, existed for, like, a decade. So
even accepting your enumeration, it would be equally valid to say 'four
UIs in 15 years' (or whatever the precise number is). Which doesn't
sound nearly as bad, does it?

2) 'newui auto' and 'newui custom' are really different elements of the
same interface. They were designed that way. You can't legitimately
count them separately for the purpose of illustrating 'churn', because
they can only properly be counted separately for that purpose if we
first made one, then changed our minds and made the other. That is not
what happened. Both were elements of the newUI re-design, which was a
single unitary concept. Both exist right in the initial whiteboards for
newUI. It's wrong to count them as two things for the purpose of
claiming a total of 4 as an illustration of 'churn'. Just wrong.

3) We have not in fact built an installer interface which involves
blivet-gui yet and AFAIK no plans to do so are finalized. So once
again, your boundaries are suspect: how can you count something that
hasn't happened yet in your 'five year' timeframe?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey