On 5 April 2018 at 13:23, Matthew Miller <mat...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 11:58:57AM +0200, Petr Viktorin wrote:
>> And if you read the original mail to the end, you'll find that our
>> position is not as black-and-white as it might look from the Subject
>> line.
>> As Python SIG we maintain old Python versions like 2.6 or 3.3
>> *today* – but just for developers who need to test backwards
>> compatibility of their upstream libraries; we don't want to see them
>> used as a base for Fedora packages. Why? To make sure Fedora
>> packages work with modern Python, and to have only one
>> time-sensitive place to concentrate on when a critical security fix
>> comes. We want to put Python 2.7 in the same situation.
>
> Sorry I'm a late to this thread. Have you considered making the
> "legacy" python 2.7 a module? This would provide a clear way to define
> the lifecycle and service level expectations.

But it's not python2 itself going that is really the painful part of
this ... it's the various python2-* packages going bye-bye as
maintainers (are already) dropping them... even when they still work.

Having a module of python2 does nothing at all to solve the actual bit
of pain we are already facing.