On 04/04/2018 01:35 PM, James Hogarth wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Apr 2018, 21:28 Adam Williamson, <adamw...@fedoraproject.org>
> wrote:
>
>> This rather begs the question of whether there are any modules which
>> only work *with python 2*, though...

The answer is (at least based on what I know from talking with upstream)
that ansible has been pretty well tested with python3 for the controller
host. All upstream PR's are tested against both python2 and python3. All
upstream CI runs against python2 and python3.

For the target/managed node side: all core modules have been tested
under python3. Community supported modules however they have been fixing
python3 issues as they come up. There's not any full testing thats
happened over all those, nor is there likely to be.

Heres the list of known python3 bugs in modules:
https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Apython3+label%3Abug

> The ansible guys might know... or might not really tbh which is why the
> current documentation upstream still declares it a technology preview.
>
> The test coverage is growing there but not massively comprehensive... and
> tbh I expect the greater problem will be random galaxy stuff or local
> plugins and modules people have written.

Right.

However, they do say that most problems are trivial to fix up also.

> It's going to be a very disruptive change in F29 as it is... to the extent
> I might start directing people to use the upstream ansible repos directly
> if they don't change there.>
> I'm honestly looking to the py2 drop in F30 as a necessary evil but one I'm
> looking at with intense trepidation.

Well, if it happens... some people might choose to keep it alive.

kevin