On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 01:34:42PM -0400, Robbie Harwood wrote:
> Igor Raits <ignatenkobr...@fedoraproject.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, 2020-06-30 at 13:34 +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:

[snip]

> > I think there are many people still install OS in the legacy mode, but
> > I don't really have numbers. One thing we should definitely do if we
> > deprecate legacy BIOS is to properly warn users that still use this
> > configuration, develop tooling for them if possible for migration and
> > do not allow upgrades that will simply break their system.
>
> I think this is the only path forward that can actually work.  Without
> tooling, the only real way to "migrate" from legacy to UEFI is to
> reinstall the operating system - much love to anaconda, but that's not
> reasonable as a migration path.
>
> Consider the partitioning.  A fairly reasonable legacy setup looks like:
>
>   /dev/sda
>       \-> /boot
>       \-> dm_crypt
>           \-> LVM
>               \-> / (FS root)
>               \-> other partitions if you like to live dangerously
>
> UEFI needs different partitions at the top level, with different size
> requirements.  So, since we've partitioned the entire disk, that
> dm_crypt area needs to shrink... which means the LVM needs to
> shrink... which means we need to shrink the filesystems in it.  I'm sure
> there are people who feel comfortable enough with parted and whatnot to
> accomplish this, but I sure don't.[1]

I guess I'll throw my opinion into the ring as well.

BIOS systems are going to be with us for a very long time. Supporting a
single clean bootloader would be wonderful, but that's not the reality
of the systems that are out there, and will continue to be out there for
decades. grub2, for all of its flaws, covers a very wide range of use
cases.

I also don't recommend trying to 'migrate' a perfectly working system to
a new bootloader. It seems like a giant waste of effort for zero gain,
and a high potential for failure.

You can't use parted to change a msdos disk to GPT, you'll have to
re-partition it. And move the partitions around, as well as shift the
data around, add more partitions, etc. It *may* work, but why take the
chance?

If you care that much about your bootloader just backup your system and
reinstall.

Brian

--
Brian C. Lane (PST8PDT) - weldr.io - lorax - parted - pykickstart