On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 at 20:24, Susi Lehtola
<jussileht...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 19:28:53 +0200
> Iñaki Ucar <iu...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> > I'm no expert, but the FAQ says:
> >
> > "You have a GPLed program that I'd like to link with my code to build
> > a proprietary program. Does the fact that I link with your program
> > mean I have to GPL my program? (#LinkingWithGPL)
> >
> > Not exactly. It means you must release your program under a license
> > compatible with the GPL (more precisely, compatible with one or more
> > GPL versions accepted by all the rest of the code in the combination
> > that you link). The combination itself is then available under those
> > GPL versions."
> >
> > So my understanding is that it's ok for a program to link to FlexiBLAS
> > if its license is GPL-compatible, not necessarily GPL. But of course
> > we would need confirmation from legal.
>
> The library is GPLv3 only
>
> https://gitlab.mpi-magdeburg.mpg.de/software/flexiblas-release#license
>
> which already makes it incompatible with many GNU Licenses
>
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main#GPL_Compatibility_Matrix

With many? With GPLv2 only. But most interestingly, GPLv3 states:

"Corresponding Source includes interface definition files associated
with source files for the work, and the source code for shared
libraries and dynamically linked subprograms that the work is
specifically designed to require"

Technically, there's nothing in FlexiBLAS that a BLAS/LAPACK
application would require to work. These are designed to require
BLAS/LAPACK, and FlexiBLAS just duplicates that interface and glues
symbols together.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the sentence above, but GPL
restrictions of course apply to any program that uses the FlexiBLAS
API for profiling, etc., but not to those that just use the
BLAS/LAPACK API.

--
Iñaki Úcar