On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 12:06 PM Susi Lehtola
<jussileht...@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Jul 2020 10:54:16 -0600
> Jerry James <loganje...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > openblas-serial: use if the application is multithreaded
> > openblas-threads: use if the application is single-threaded
>
> No, this is exactly the wrong way around. You should use the serial
> library for code that you want to be running in serial (this way you
> can get several instances of the program running efficiently), and the
> pthreads version if you want to run the BLAS/LAPACK regions in parallel
> (but are somehow opposed to OpenMP!)..

Okay, I think the wiki's wording is hard to understand
(https://github.com/xianyi/OpenBLAS/wiki/faq#multi-threaded), at least
for me.  Let me see if I've got this straight.

1. openblas-opemp computes on subranges in parallel using OpenMP
2. openblas-threads computes on subranges in parallel using pthreads
3. openblas-serial uses a single thread for the entire computation

Right?

What I'm looking for is a set of rules I can apply when I've got a
package that uses BLAS, but upstream has given no guidance on what
kind of BLAS library is suitable.  I've got several of those, so I
want to check that they're linking with the best version of the
library.  How should I make that determination?  Also, how do I know
whether to use, say, openblas-openmp vs. openblas-openmp64 vs.
openblas-openmp64_?
--
Jerry James
http://www.jamezone.org/