On 7/1/20 11:53 AM, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 4:25 pm, Nicolas Mailhot via devel
> <devel@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Actually this split is a godsend because you can convince anaconda to
>> leave your home alone when reinstalling, while someone always seems too
>> invent a new Fedora change that justifies the reformatting of /.
>>
>> Good luck dealing with user data the next time workstation (or any
>> other group) feels the / filesystem should change, once you've put user
>> data on the same mount point
>
> So for the avoidance of doubt: if the btrfs change is rejected, we are almost
> certain to put everything on the same mount point. We haven't approved this
> yet, but odds are very high IMO. The options we are seriously considering for
> our default going forward are (a) btrfs, (b) failing that, probably ext4 all
> one big partition without LVM, (c) less-likely, maybe xfs all one big
> partition without LVM. This is being discussed in
> https://pagure.io/fedora-workstation/issue/152
>
> We have a high number of complaints from developers running out of space on /
> with plenty of space left on /home (happens to me all the time). The opposite
> scenario is a problem too. Separate mountpoints by default is just not a good
> default, sorry. Ensuring users don't run out of space due to bad partitioning
> is more important than keeping /home during reinstall IMO. But with btrfs,
> then /home will just be a subvolume so we can have our cake and eat it too.

This can be mitigated with directory (project) quotas, btw.

On XFS, exceeding a directory tree quota even yields ENOSPC.
(on ext4, it's EDQUOT right now.)

So one big / partition including /home, with a directory quota set
on /home at 20G, will yield ENOSPC when home contains 20G and will now
allow / to get filled with user files.

It's also trivial to adjust the directory quota on /home up or down, as
needed.

It's another cake eating-and-having option which is a pretty trivial
thing to implement.

-Eric