On 1.7.2020 21:00, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 12:34 PM Jóhann B. Guðmundsson
<johan...@gmail.com> wrote:
On 1.7.2020 16:10, Solomon Peachy wrote:
On Wed, Jul 01, 2020 at 05:19:01PM +0200, Roberto Ragusa wrote:
I'm currently using BIOS, grub, grub2 basically everywhere, even on
fresh new machines,
This won't be the case for much longer; Intel will finally drop CSM
("BIOS") support this year.

Even putting that aside, for the past several years CSM/BIOS has been
slowly bitrotting due to a lack of real testing, as the last few Windows
releases have mandated use of UEFI for preinstalled systems, plus the
EOLing of Windows 7 and (especially) XP.
AMD is "strongly" recommending UEFI for the windows [1]

So Apple dropped CSM in 2006

Intel in 2020

AMD is against it's use

Windows has moved on with the curve...

That's great and all, but of all the cloud providers, only Microsoft's
Azure / Hyper-V platform actually requires UEFI support. Nobody else
even supports it! Okay, AWS only supports it for AArch64, but not x86.

KVM guys here are still recommending BIOS.

We still can't use NVIDIA proprietary drivers on UEFI because Fedora's
kernel configuration is too strict for that. I personally consider it
a good thing, but that's a problem for others.

Fix all the other problems we have with UEFI environments before
suggesting we drop "legacy BIOS".

It's absolutely shameful that despite us being first to the UEFI
Secure Boot support, we *still* can't get things working fully in that
environment. And frankly, from what I can tell from all the people
involved: nobody cares except for the couple of people who ask every
few months why we can't have the NVIDIA driver signed and auto-trusted
so it works. I know every time I ask, people respond with "it's not
that simple" and more mumbles of Koji architecture problems.

At this point, I personally don't want to see this proposal *ever*
come up again unless somebody cares about fixing the user experience
with UEFI.

Based on the feedback here there are atleast 5 - 10 years before we can even consider removing it so no worries this wont come up again for a looong time but hopefully there are other areas we can improve upon which helps us improve the overall UEFI experience in Fedora etc.

Perhaps it's not that people dont care and more that they are unaware of those problems  I mean I personally was unaware of those problem and probably whole lot of other people here as well so could you list in more detail what exactly those user experience problems with UEFI are that you are aware of and we can try to compile a todo list to work with.

JBG