On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 9:23 PM Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2.7.2020 01:06, Neal Gompa wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 9:03 PM Jóhann B. Guðmundsson <johan...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> If there is this general feel that sd-boots configuration syntax is much
> >> harder to read and the ability of not having to run additional command
> >> once the file has been edited or the ability to be able to easily
> >> maintain and manage multiple kernels or multiple operating systems due
> >> those being a drop-in configuration text files, is considered being too
> >> bare bone and *less* user-friendly than grub, then obviously me creating
> >> a change proposal based on what Javier suggested along with other
> >> cleanups to provide as best user experience as can be had with sd-boot
> >> would be doing the distribution a great disservice would it not?
> >>
> > Oh, I don't care about the configuration syntax. That part would be
> > the same across grub, refind, and sd-boot anyway.
> >
> > The user-interactive portion of sd-boot is *awful*. I know our GRUB
> > looks ugly by default these days too, but it doesn't have to be, and
> > most distros actually do make it look semi-decent.
> >
> > But alas, nobody cares about making that part look nice, because they
> > hope people don't have to go there at all. But even Windows makes
> > their boot manager not look ugly and relatively easy to navigate. And
> > obviously Apple has done this forever with macOS.
> >
> > I honestly don't get why everyone is okay with butt-ugly and
> > user-unfriendly UX.
>
> Because the end user should never find himself in the boot manager to
> begin with that's why no boot manager invest any time in being "pretty".
>
> The end user should find himself ending up in some form of shiny nice
> user friendly rescue environment that helps him troubleshoot his problem
> would you agree?

I would, except, we can't have that either, because nobody cares to
make that either.

In the Windows and macOS world, these two things are paramount and
they're combined with a more solid boot manager experience. We have
none of that on the Linux side because all the incentives are wrong in
the Linux world: we're driven exclusively by people who know what
they're doing and don't like change.

We have less of this problem in Fedora, but all the *money* in Linux
is pushed for *not changing*, so that makes life very difficult. The
server world uses automation and APIs as a substitute for making good
user experiences. And it shows.

That's why we get more dumb services further stratifying the landscape
of interfaces needed to do something meaningful rather than actually
*changing* things to be better.

That's why GUI tools keep getting retired for complex web applications.

That's why we can't have nice things. Because nobody with power cares enough.