Jason L Tibbitts III venit, vidit, dixit 2023-12-01 22:41:54:
> So I've been in this situation, both on the receiving end of nasty flames
> because I dared touch someone else's package and having duplicated work
> because I didn't check before trying to update something.

> > So, due to me following my package (notmuch)
>
> The idea is that it's really the community's package, but you have
> indicated that you will take a primary role.  That doesn't mean that
> nobody else will ever touch the package.  Communication is encouraged,
> of course.
>
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_spec_maintenance_and_canonicity
>
> > ... and get a reject because someone thought that pushing directly
> > without asking or at least notifying the maintainer would be in order:
>
> This is collaborative maintenance.  Occasionally you get ninja'd.  It
> happens.  Certainly it's annoying when it happens but it's not evidence
> that anyone did anything wrong.
>
> If there is something wrong with the work of the maintainer who got
> there before you did, then you can always push a revert, bump and build
> your own copy.  And of course have a discussion with them.
>
> If there isn't anything wrong with the work of the other maintainer,
> then I guess I don't understand.  They did something in an honest
> attempt to save you the trouble and because of unfortunate timing they
> didn't actually save you any trouble.  But you aren't in a different
> position than if they hadn't tried to help.  (Excluding the time it took
> to start this discussion, of course.)
>
> > I am sick of this. Really. I am so sick of this way of stomping on
> > each others' feet.
>
> I can only say that the best thing to do in this situation is to say
> "thanks; would you mind sending me a note on [IRC|Matrix|email] in the
> future so we don't duplicate effort?" and move on.  Surely it's not
> worth strong emotions.
>
> > It's made worse by failing automated notifications, of course. Not
> > from pagure about the push nor from koji about the build nor from
> > bodhi about the update.
>
> Now that is a true issue, and perhaps the real underlying issue here.
> If you invested time that you didn't need to invest because you didn't
> receive a notification that the work had already been done, then that is
> problematic.  And yes, it would be incredibly beneficial to
> collaboration if that were fixed, if only because it would help to
> prevent situations such as the one under discussion.  But please don't
> take that out on the person who had no motivation other than to help you
> out.

You are all missing the point that this is not about a (co-) maintainer
but a proven packager. And that "regular maintainership" is not what
this role is for. And it's definitely not what most of them do.

Even as (co-)maintainer I see this as team work, at least among
those who signal interest. If "main admin" doesn't signal that then
what does?

But hey, I can learn, such as not to care either. Just push and build
where you have access. So much easier.

Done with this for now.

Michael