On Fri, Mar 1, 2024 at 12:52 PM Pratham Patel <thefirst1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> An update on the efforts:
>
> Running nix commands like `nix run nixpkgs#hello` works. And that's all that
> works from what I've been able to test. Installing Nix software like
> `home-manager` fails. You can actually do a `nix run home-manager/master --
> init --switch` and you will get a "barebones" initialisation of home-manager
> activated but as I will discuss later, variables related to activation don't
> get sourced and it is rendered useless. However, I cannot build my
> home-manager configuration.
>
> This issue stems from improper initialization of several things. What the
> Determinate Systems' installer and the official Nix installer do is fetch a
> tarball from [here](https://releases.nixos.org/?prefix=nix/), extract it in
> `/nix/store` and add/modify the shell rcs (for bash, fish and zsh) in `/etc`
> to source a few files from the nix store that contain environment variables
> like `NIX_PATH` which is crucial for nix to build anything more than the
> `hello` package.

As part of your package, you can achieve similar things by dropping a
script into `/etc/profile.d`. For example, conda (the
formerly-primarily Python package manager) installs a conda.{csh,sh}
script there that sets some variables for paths and shell functions to
match. Or flatpak, that installs flatpak.sh that adds XDG_DATA_DIRS.

--
Elliott