Hi  Maxwell:

On Sun, Mar 3, 2024, Maxwell G wrote:
> Has anyone every used trivy [1] to scan for licenses? It appears more
> robust and better maintained than askalono-cli and can detect files with
> multiple licenses and licenses embedded in file headers.  I have been
> running it with "trivy fs --scanners license --license-full ."
>
> [1] https://github.com/aquasecurity/trivy

IMHO trivy is not a robust tool for license detection from me trying it.

It is mostly based on google/licenseclassifier which had a single
commit in the last 17 months, and this means this is not more
maintained than askalono (and frankly both are fairly lightweight
tools for license detection). Trivy adds SPDX expression parsing on
top of the google/licenseclassifier and that's it. I would not rely on
these for anything serious and certainly not to scan code for license
prior to its inclusion in Fedora.

If you want robust license detection, consider using ScanCode [2] and
Scancode.io [3] for more complex pipelines. Both are tools that I
co-maintain and are considered as better tools for this. Do not
hesitate to reach out for help!

Not directly related, I just found out ScanCode has been used for
building large code LLMs [4]

[1] https://github.com/google/licenseclassifier
[2] https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit
[3] https://github.com/nexB/scancode.io
[4] https://huggingface.co/papers/2402.19173

--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne

+1 650 799 0949 | pombreda...@nexb.com
AboutCode - Open source for open source - https://www.aboutcode.org
VulnerableCode - the open code and open data vulnerability database -
https://github.com/nexb/vulnerablecode
ScanCode - scan your code, for origin/license/vulnerabilities, report
SBOMs - https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit
https://github.com/nexB/scancode.io
package-url - the mostly universal SBOM identifier for packages -
https://github.com/package-url
DejaCode - What's in your code?! - http://www.dejacode.com