On Feb 28, 2014, at 1:46 PM, Josh Boyer <jwbo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you elaborate on how that's eases the test matrix?
>
> As I said in a conversation with Stephen yesterday, I don't think it's
> the case that a common layout in partitions/fs is actually reducing
> the test load.  From a component standpoint, sure absolutely it is.
> One filesystem to test is easier than 3.  However, we don't do
> _filesystem_ testing in the context of release testing.  It's implicit
> in the other tests.

Mostly true. Contra example from Fedora 20: LVM Thin Provisioning landed
either right at or just before branch as a Guided partitioning option. And it
either didn't install or the installation wasn't bootable, until just before
beta, and then blew up before release. So that's a lot of testing done for
something that quite frankly not a lot of users were interested in, yet because
QA didn't rerun its entire matrix of tests, include testing this one partition
scheme option, it shipped broken. And that's kinda annoying because a.) it's a
prominently available feature by being in the guided partitioning path, b.)
because probably several hundred man hours went into it and because 1 more hour
wasn't committed it blew up for shipping because we didn't know until after
committing to release that it was broken.

And that happened in large part because QA spends increasing amounts of time
also on testing the custom partitioning section compared to oldui.

So I'd say one of two things about custom partitioning must become true going
forward.

- Custom partitioning is "best effort" in that it's entirely possible (maybe
even likely) something ships that doesn't work. And that's because no one (or
too few) are testing that particular combination of features.

- There needs to be a mandate to remove features from custom partitioning that
quite frankly don't make sense like rootfs on raid4, raid5 or raid6. OK maybe
raid5. But not raid 4 or raid 6. There are other examples I'm sure.

Or some combination of the two.

Chris Murphy