You can use gcc-core from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gcc/gcc-4.5.4/

Indeed you need several packages/dependencies in order to compile gcc
configure script will generally tell you what to install (like what you
pasted).

To compile a lm32-elf toolchain you can have a look there:
http://milkymist.org/wiki/index.php?title=Compiling_a_lightweight_Mico32_toolchain

Just use gcc 4.5.4 instead of 4.5.3 and use binutils 2.24

Yann Sionneau