You should be able to copy the .dylib into ~/lib.  For me I embed mono and
call mono_config_parse(mappings_file).  Where mappings_file is the path to a
file that does DLL location mapping.

You can also set turn on logging for mono which can help isolate why it
cannot find the dylib.

$ export MONO_LOG_LEVEL="debug"
$ export MONO_LOG_MASK="dll"
$ mono sample.exe