On 17 Mar 2003, Ben Guthro wrote:

> > In xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/CHANGELOG
> >  754. Fixed VBE EDID read: due to a missing register setting read
> >       ended in endless loop on certain systems (Egbert Eich).
> > On a good day an endless loop would be aborted.
> > It would be worth trying v4.2

Typo; I meant it would be worth trying 4.3.

> I am currently running version 4.2.0 (18 Jan 2002)
> I have up to change 690 in my CHANGELOG. So, this may be my problem.
>
> However, before trying the most recent version, I set my ATI Radeon card
> up to run in dual head mode, one off the DVI connector, one off the VGA.
> This, interestingly produced the same results
>
> xprop -display :0.1 -root 8x XFree86_DDC_EDID1_RAWDATA
> XFree86_DDC_EDID1_RAWDATAAborted
>
> Do you still think that its a driver problem?

Sorry, "driver" was the wrong word.

However the radeon DDC code has been seriously overhauled since 4.2.

I really think you should upgrade to 4.3 before going further.

--
Dr. Andrew C. Aitchison         Computer Officer, DPMMS, Cambridge
[EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.dpmms.cam.ac.uk/~werdna