Just found that if I use 'localhost:0.1' form, XOpenDisplay tries to connect with TCP stream, while if DISPLAY is NULL it choses fastest method it can find.
And actually running just 'xlsfonts' with X down gives error right away. The problem is that I have to check for screen 0.1.
Is there any way to use XOpenDisplay specifying screen 0.1 without forcing it to TCP mode?

Thanks,
Andriy

Andriy Rysin wrote:

I've got a server program trying to connect to local X server on
command. If X runs everything is fine but if not timeout for
XOpenDisplay is pretty long. I tried to run 'xlsfonts -display
localhost:0.1' when X server is down and got about 6 sec delay. It's
probably reasonable for remote X server because of network delays but
for localhost there is probably a faster way. Delay is crucial in my
case - I need to know if X is down in less than 2 sec, is there any mean
to know really quick if local server is down?

Thanks in advance,
Andriy