well, I am interested in all of them :)
at work we're using nvidia with closed drivers (I must say their tvout/screen+twinview configuration support by driver is pretty cool - I haven't seen other drivers with such a full set of options) or alternatively we use framebuffer+nvtv program, but also we're looking at some small-factor mothreboards with only one PCI slot (needed for capture card) and most of them have integrated i8xx graphics. On my laptop I've got ATI Rage Mobility using gatos, but atitvout is not working in X for me - only in console, though framebuffer drivers hangs the system so I can't run mplayer or smth. like that to really use it, besides development of atitvout ceased.
It would be nice to put some resume of drivers with tvout features on next xfree86 release.

Andriy

Alex Deucher wrote:

several drivers support TV out but not all.  I believe via, trident,
and savage have open source support for most tv out options.  Matrox
provides binary support for the g400 (although you can get tv out
working with the linux frambuffer driver for all recent matrox cards),
as does nvidia.  for ATI there are several open source utilites out
there as well as GATOS, but they all are coded by trial and error since
ati hasn't released tv out specs as far as I know.  I'm not sure abotu
ATI's binary drivers.

was there a particular chip you were interested in?

Alex

--- Andriy Rysin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can anybody tell me what's the status of tvout support in XFree86
drivers?
As far as I understand it's only available for several graphic cards
and only from their manufacturer close-source drivers. From gatos project
I learned there are some legal issues with ATI boards but don't know anything about the others.

Thanks,
Andriy