Support for HW accelerated indirect rendering is just a matter of
restructuring some library interfaces so that GLX commands can get
decoded and sent to the hardware rather than the sw renderer.  It's in
the pipeline for future development by the DRI folks, but if it were
sponsored, it might happen sooner.  there would be few if any changes
needed in the hardware drivers.

Alex