On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 03:10:14AM -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

...<snip>...
> More likely than not it is a case of "it's better to not say
> anything at all, than to try and be honest and explain your
> position and then have people attack you endlessly with more
> ferocity than they'd have done had you not said anything".
>
> I encounter this all the time.  If someone asks me "Why does your
> product version x.y not support foo?" and I delete their mail,
> they are none the wiser.  They are unlikely to flame me, or to
> even know if I got it.

I will add my own Rant here.  Ignoring email from Joe Public who
bought his 'Puter from Walmart' might work, but I feel 'Dissed'
when a person insults my intelligence with this respose.

> Worse, you waste your time doing so, and your company time.
> Should these companies hire 50 people to respond to all of these
> emails to listen to users argue with them?  No.  Hit delete, and
> let it go.  The user may be upset for not getting a response, but
> they're going to more often be a lot less upset than hearing
> the truth and wanting to argue with you and waste a lot of your
> time doing so.  Also, your company is paying for your time, so if
> you're responding to 5000 users a day to listen to them argue,
> that is hardly worthy usage of your time.
>
> Fortunately, it is Saturday, so I can argue with you until
> Monday.  After that, I'll have to delete your mails.  ;o)

My threshold was 300-500 daily emails.  Less than 300 was a light
day, and more than 500 kept me from finishing the work I was paid
to do.  I have no idea what your data point looks like but I suspect
you use multiple addresses and understand how to sort things into
various folders.  I rarely respond and spend 10X to 20X more time
reading than writing email.  I would write more code if I did not
get as much email but the spammers make that unlikely :(

If you cannot or choose to not respond, that is fine.  But own up
to your decision and do not pretend you never received the message.

Richard